Knowing what can cause heavy steering will help you and your car to get to the bottom of an irritating problem. Heavy steering can be a sign that both safety and performance of your car is affected. So, knowing the signs and when to take your car to a professional is important.
What Is Heavy Steering
Heavy steering is when as you steer your car it is made difficult to turn. This can be caused by a number of issues varying from tyre pressure to tyre alignment. If you notice any of these issues, take your car to your local garage and ensure it is not a sign of a greater issue.
Why Is Your Steering Wheel Hard To Turn
As mentioned above there are several reasons your steering may have become heavy: –
- Tyre Pressure- If your tyres are not at the correct pressure, this can cause heavy steering. Your grip on the road is also affected by under inflated tyres.
- Wheel Alignment- Unaligned tyres can cause an affect on your steering. Caused by uneven tyre wear and can result in your car pulling to one side.
- Lack of Fluid Oil- A fluid leakage, can lead to heavy steering. If there is a lack of fluid oil, or a leak, this can reduce the pressure in the system, meaning the steering wheel does not receive enough supply of fluid to perform freely.
- Power Steering Fluid- This can collect debris and dirt over time, which can mean it becomes too thick to flow freely and lubricate all parts of the system.
- Irregular Servicing- When was the last time you had your vehicle serviced? Regular servicing helps to combat issues, such as heavy steering. Your local garage is skilled in all car repairs and servicing. Keeping your car at its best.
Car Repairs Newton Abbot
If your vehicle requires car repairs in Newton Abbot, then you have come to the right place. Our team of mechanics proudly offer a range of reliable garage services including brake repairs, clutch repairs and more. As a well-established Bosch service centre, you can rely on our mechanics to repair your vehicle and have you back on the road in no time.